Healthy People, Healthy Places
Health & Equity Through Built Environment and Food Access Policy
Healthy People, Healthy Places is about communities coming together to promote health and equity through built environment and food access policy. Be part of the discussion and planning taking place to create livable spaces and access to healthy foods in your community.
Con Alma Health Foundation is one of only 13 local foundations in the United States to be recognized with a 2012 national Convergence Partnership Innovation Fund grant. The awards honor new or expanded local and regional innovative initiatives that help ensure all people can live, work, and play in healthy communities. The Convergence Partnership is a collaboration of eight funders who have come together with the shared goal of changing policies and environments to better achieve the vision of healthy people living in healthy places.
Con Alma’s goals for this effort are to promote equity and health by increasing equitable built environments and access to healthy food with a focus on low-income communities, rural communities, and communities of color; to support the preservation and enhancement of cultural and spiritual assets in the community; and to develop capacity by creating a long-term commitment to equity-focused policy and environmental efforts.
Con Alma Health Foundation provides leadership for the project in partnership with Farm to Table, and other partners representing a multi-field and multi-sector approach. A New Mexico funders’ collaborative, committed to promoting health and equity, provides funding support for the project’s matching grant requirement. Farm to Table is working with Con Alma to implement project goals; participate in planning; identifying other project program partners; and to coordinate an advisory council, technical assistance, and local and state civic engagement training and policy.
NEW MEXICO – Local Partner Funders
Healthy People News
- Congratulations to our 2015 Healthy People, Healthy Places grant recipients. Con Alma awarded about $87,000 in mini-grants as part of its Healthy People, Healthy Places initiative, a partnership of organizations working together to increase access to healthy food and improve the built environment so it …CONTINUE READING
- HPHP: Advancing Health Equity in Rural Communities from Con Alma on Vimeo. Advancing Health Equity in Rural Communities with Charlie Alfero, Executive Director of Hidalgo Medical Services – Center for Health Innovation Thursday, November 20, 2014 2:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Inn and Spa at …CONTINUE READING
- Here listed are the great community projects that were funded through the Healthy People, Healthy Places initiative. The list reflects the first two rounds of funding which is indicated in parenthesis. Con Alma is honored to be a part of this innovative learning community. • …CONTINUE READING
- Con Alma Health Foundation and Farm to Table would like to thank everyone who was able to attend the Healthy People, Healthy Places Workshop In the First Place: The Strategies and Tools That Make Community Wellbeing a Reality. Although the weather made travel a challenge for some, …CONTINUE READING
- The Healthy People, Healthy Places Initiative is focused on efforts to promote health and equity through built environment and food access policy. Mini-grants will provide resources to community-based nonprofits and organizations to support innovative and creative strategies that seek to increase and enhance the participation, …CONTINUE READING
- Con Alma Health Foundation awards “grants based on a nonprofit’s ability to create systemic, long-lasting change. Another priority is honoring NM’s rich cultural traditions. That includes supporting locally grown and culturally significant foods, preserving agricultural traditions and encouraging elders and indigenous people to share cultural …CONTINUE READING
- Con Alma Health Foundation Community Advisory Committee member Wanda Padilla spoke out about the Foundation’s Healthy People, Healthy Places inititive to the Santa Fe New Mexican with an Op-Ed published 3/16/2013. As she says, “Anyone who really knows me, know that this is my passion!” …CONTINUE READING
Con Alma Health Foundation Receives National Grant to Increase Access to Healthy Food and Create Healthier CommunitiesCon Alma Health Foundation is one of 13 foundations in the country to receive a national Convergence Partnership Innovation Fund grant that will increase access to healthy food and improve community health through policies and environmental changes in communities. Examples include supporting farmers markets, improving …CONTINUE READING
- The Con Alma Health Foundation and its funding partners are pleased to announce that they have been awarded a 2012-2015 Convergence Innovation Fund grant. “The Convergence Innovation Fund supports place-based efforts focused on engaging community leadership to improve the built environment and expand healthy food access …CONTINUE READING