Fair and Accurate Census
As a foundation that seeks to improve the health of our state’s diverse communities, Con Alma supports a fair and accurate census count of all who call New Mexico home. An accurate census count is crucial to the funding of Medicaid, transportation grants, education grants, Section 8 Housing Vouchers, Community Development Block Grants and dozens of other health related federal programs. Billions of federal dollars are distributed to states based on census counts and each New Mexican not counted equates to a loss of approximately $3,000 every year for the next decade.
A 1% undercount of New Mexicans in 2020 could result in a $600,000,000 loss of funds over a ten-year period. As home to some of the nations “hardest-to-count” communities, many New Mexicans are at a higher risk of an unfair and inaccurate count in the upcoming 2020 Census.
To learn more about how the 2020 Census affects you, and how you can help in securing an accurate count, explore the resources below and in the sidebar. Be sure to check back for updates to our resource list and this page. Sign up for email updates on important Census 2020 related information here: Census 2020 email updates. And connect with us on social media to engage and share timely census information. Social media links are in the sidebar and at the bottom of the page.
Census 2020 Resources
In our ongoing support for a fair and accurate census count, Con Alma is developing this page of resources to help you stay informed of Census 2020 work being done both locally and nationally. Be sure to check back for updates on census content to this page. Sign up for email updates on important Census 2020 related information here: Census 2020 email updates. And connect with us on social media to engage and share timely census information. Social media links are at the bottom of the page.
New Mexico and Regional Resources
- i count because i care – New Mexico’s Statewide Complete Count Commission’s website. At icountnm.gov, New Mexicans can learn about the importance of the decennial Census and the crucial federal program funds apportioned according to its results, find key dates and documents, and learn how to contribute to local efforts that will ensure all New Mexicans are counted. The site will also be a resource for local governments as they plan their training and complete count efforts for the 2020 Census.
- New Mexico Counts! 2020 Resources – The New Mexico Counts! 2020 resource page full of valuable reports and information regarding New Mexico and the 2020 Census
- NM Counts! 2020 – New Mexico Funders Preparing for the 2020 Census fact sheet
- UNM Geospatial Population Studies Census 2020 Fact Sheet
- Resources cited in the UNM Geospatial Population Studies Fact Sheet
- Mapping Hard to Count Communities for a Fair and Accurate 2020 Census – State, county, Congressional district, or state legislative district level mapping
- Counting for Dollars 2020 – The Role of the Decennial Census in the Geographic Distribution of Federal Funds
- Report: COUNTING FOR DOLLARS 2020: The Role of the Decennial Census in the Geographic Distribution of Federal Funds – Report #2: Estimating Fiscal Costs of a Census Undercount to States
- 2020 Census – How the Count Affects State Budgets
- Preparing for the 2020 Census – UNM Bureau of Business and Economic Research Complete Count Committees Information and Resources
- Regional Partnership Specialist
- Veronica Arzate de Reyes, Partnership Specialist
Dallas Regional Census Office/Field Division/Denver Region
U.S. Census Bureau
M : 972.979.1632
census.gov | @uscensusbureau
- Veronica Arzate de Reyes, Partnership Specialist
- U.S. Census Bureau Partners – Resources on why and how you can partner in the 2020 Census
- Outreach Toolkit – “best practices and research-backed recommendations to reach and engage audiences around the country”
- Complete Count Committees – Download materials with detailed information about Complete Count Committees
- U.S. Census Bureau Blogs and Social Media – Keep up to date and engaged with this list list of U.S. Census Bureau Blogs and Social Media
- New Mexico Employment Opportunities – Current Survey Ongoing Opportunities
- Funders Census Initiative 2020 – The Funders Census Initiative 2020 is committed to stimulating interest in the census among funders and their grantees through outreach, education, resource development, and technical assistance.
- Now Is The Time To Act To Ensure A Fair And Accurate Census – although philanthropy cannot and should not supplant the government’s responsibility to ensure a fair and accurate census, funder engagement in support of the census is more important than ever.
- PHILANTHROPY AND THE 2020 CENSUS – A ONCE-IN-A-DECADE CHANCE TO GET IT RIGHT
- CENSUS 2020: Why an Accurate Count Matters to Philanthropy – United Philanthropy Forum’s Census 2020 Collection
- Urban Institute’s “The Vulnerable, Vital 2020 Census” Collection – Urban Institute’s 2020 Census feature of interactives, stories, and collections that go beyond the data
- Libraries and the 2020 Census – American Library Association is advocating for a fair, accurate, and inclusive Census that recognizes the roles libraries will play in this vital civic effort.